The Office of National Statistics (ONS) in November pumped out another batch of data relating to the ageing of the UK - here are some of the highlights:
- The number of state pensioners will increase by around one third between 2012 and 2037 (to 16.1 million)
- The average age will increase rises from 39.7 years in 2012 to 42.8 by mid-2037
- By 2037, the number of working-age people for each person of state retirement age will fall to 2.7 from the current 3.2
- The number of those aged over 80 will double over 25 years to 6.2m people
- The number of women aged 105 and older will rise almost 10-fold to 3,404
For those who attended the “Why the world needs anthropologists” symposium in Amsterdam yesterday here are the slides. For those that didn’t attend I hope the notes with the slides help provide a bit of context to the more visual slides.
A long but comprehensive ‘state of digital world’ presentation from Business Insider.